The Pilgrim Academy began in September 1971 as a result of the burden of Dr. Warren Allem and the people of Emmanuel Church that the students in South Jersey should have the privilege of Christian Education. Much prayer and hard work went into preparation for that first day when 23 seventh through ninth grade students began school in the Roberts Memorial Building of Emmanuel Church in Egg Harbor City. The students had three full time teachers and one part time. In successive years, grades ten through twelve were added.
Construction on a seven room classroom building was completed in 1975 and students in the upper school moved out to the 40 acre campus on Moss Mill Road in Galloway Township while lower school grades K-6 began in the church building in Egg Harbor. Expansion continued at The Pilgrim Academy with the addition of a gymnasium in 1982 and an elementary wing connecting the gym to the original school building in 1983. The final wing of the school was built between 1989 and 1990. A library, lunchroom, music room, and computer lab along with additional classrooms comprised this wing. Over the years, under the direction of former Headmaster, Robert A. Peterson, Jr., (1956-2003) this area has been landscaped with trees, shrubs, and flowers. A headmaster’s home was built across the street from the school in 1992.
Today, The Pilgrim Academy has over fifty faculty and staff members and continues to build on the legacy the Lord has blessed us with. By using God’s Word to reach young people’s hearts, we are privileged to come along side the family to help build a solid foundation that allows our students to be successful in every area. The school’s theme, “To God Be the Glory,” is prominent and as we look to the future we will continue to praise Him for the blessings he has bestowed upon the school.